Purchasing a luxury home along the coast can provide you with a truly breathtaking piece of property. Buying a luxury home on the coast comes with the best views and a different terrain that will require you to take some things into consideration upon the purchase of your home. Here are the top 5 things to consider when buying a luxury home on the coast.
- Flood Zones: this is hugely important information to ask your luxury buying agent about. They can obtain any and all information about the flood zone classification, the state’s floodplain mapping program, and what insurance will be required to purchase the property.
- Hurricanes and other storms: Find out how affected the coastline that you are looking to move to is by storms. Though storms are unpredictable there are coastlines that have a record of being more susceptible to hurricanes and other weather systems.
- Erosion: This is one of the biggest things to consider when buying a luxury property along the coast. It is tough to fully determine the risks any home faces with erosion but you can get some advice on how the particular property you plan to buy will hold up to future erosion, check in with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or the state’s Coastal Federation they track erosion rates and trends and may be able to offer some helpful insight.
- Rules for Rebuilding after a significant storm: If there is a large storm that damages your home the way you repair your home afterward may be subject to certain local laws. In addition, if your lot erodes with the significant damage you may run into the lot being termed “unbuildable” in the future.
- Wind Damage: Wind is a much different factor for coastal homes as the air is filled with moisture and salt. Some homes will be eligible for wind damage insurance. This is a good thing to check into when purchasing a coastal property.
- Different Inspection Process: like with any luxury home you need to find a specialized home inspector. Coastal properties have different codes and require a unique set of building materials and standards because of this you want a home inspector that knows coastal properties.
Related: How to Protect Your Coastal Home
The best way to find the perfect coastal luxury property is to find a buyer’s agent who specializes in the local luxury housing market. A luxury agent will know about properties not listed on the MLS and the exact neighborhood and property that fits your wants and needs. Contact me today for a complete list of active coastal homes along 30A.